Only one more week of classes – can you believe it? As we wrap of the semester, a few reminders from your Co-op teachers:
LOG sheets! Get them in. All hours are due by Friday June 23 (by 9am).
Final employer evaluations need to be submitted by the beginning of the week.
Final Reflection is due by Thursday June 22.
Exit resume and employer thank you letter should already be submitted to your teacher.
Keep up to date with your general blog posts. 2 more are required in the month of June.
As soon as we know the plans for the last day of classes, they will be posted here.
Don’t forget about our in-class session on Monday. See the previous post for information on what you need to have done. Make sure you have a digital copy of your resume available to complete your exit resume.
As we mentioned in May, part of the class will consist of small groups going to talk about co-op with classes throughout the school. You will be assigned a time/class on Monday. The following students will be sharing their show & share videos, and everyone will share some details about their placement.
Show & Share Videos: Owen, Tom, Izzy, Haylie, Ryan, Spencer, Cody, Madelyn, Cam, Emma
Some four credit students will come to the afternoon co-op class instead of the morning: Please check below:
4-credit students: Please report to the following class:
Morning: Tanner, Alexandria, Taylor P., Cody
Afternoon: Taylor D., Jennifer, Eric, Cam
Assignments & Agenda for Monday June 5, 2017
- Hour check: 2-credit students should have 160 hours as of June 2, 4-credit students hours have 320 hours.
- Class presentation – small groups discussing Co-op with various classes in the school. You will prepare for this in the first period of our time together Monday
- 4-credit students – please watch for a message regarding which session you will attend (morning/afternoon)
- Fourth Journal reflection (based on one of the 9 essential skills) due June 5
- 2 blog posts due June 5
- Employer Thank You Letter due June 5
- Exit resume (including Co-operative Education placement) due June 8
- Introduce final blog requirements (2 general posts, Final Reflection) due June 22
Get your log sheets in as well as any outstanding employer evaluations.
Four more weeks to go at your placement! Make sure you are on track to reach the required number of hours. (186 for 2-credits)
At the end of the day on Friday May 12, two-credit students should have over 120 hours accumulated. Four-credit students should have double that (240). If you are falling behind, consider extending your shift by 1/2 an hour at the beginning or end each day, or plan to make up hours on the June PD Day.
Please get onto your blog and make some general posts – you will be thankful at the end of the month!
Need some inspiration?
- Did you know that _________________________ (farmers/teachers/bank tellers/small business owners) have to ______________________________.
- What attracted you to co-op education?
- What skills have you learned at work that make you a better student at school?
- Have your expectations been realized?
- What surprises have there been?
- Would you recommend this placement for future students? Why or why not?
- What does it mean to “take the initiative?” Why is it important to employers? How have or might you demonstrate initiative at your coop placement? (be specific)
- What character traits does your employer/supervisor expect you to possess? Do you possess these traits? If not, which ones do you need to develop? How will you accomplish this goal?
We hope everyone is staying dry out there! It was great to see your videos on Monday – they were well done. Take the time to view some videos of your classmates, and be sure to share them with your employers so they can see what you created.
Don’t forget about the PD day coming up on Monday May 8. If you plan to work outside your regular hours, you should have completed an amendment form and by today (Friday).
Tip for general blog posts:
- Create a catchy title (don’t name it “General post #3”)
- Include a picture – either directly from your placement or a stock photo you find online
- When explaining the topic, imagine that the reader has no background knowledge. Include as much detail as possible.
Once your Show & Share Assignment is complete, be sure to post it to your Co-op blog. If you need any help, ask your teacher.
If you still haven’t filmed/photographed your skill, get it done so that you can build your video. You will be sharing your video in class on Monday May 1.
We hope that everyone had a wonderful long weekend and enjoyed some time outside in the sunshine!
Your goal this week should be to gather any video footage or photos that you need for your Show & Share Assignment. This will leave you time next week for putting your video together, using Adobe Spark or another video editing tool. If you have any questions or need help getting the footage, please get in contact with your teacher.
Don’t forget that by May 1 you will also need to complete two blog posts and your third journal reflection on an essential skill. It would be wise to get some of the work completed this week!